Thursday, January 12, 2012

Smashed White Bean and Avocado Club

Let's get one thing straight, "Smashed White Bean" in my book is store bought hummus.  I also don't have a food processor, so there was no way I was about to smash beans with a fork.  Also, I do know that hummus is generally made with chick peas, which seemed like a fair enough substitute.  So here goes, let's make a sandwich.

Ingredients

  • 15-ounce cans white beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 12 slices multi grain bread
  • small red onion, thinly sliced
  • cucumber, preferably hothouse (seedless), thinly sliced (peeled, if desired)
  • 4- to 5-ounce container sprouts (such as alfalfa, radish, broccoli, or a combination)
  • avocados, pitted and thinly sliced

Directions

  1. In a medium bowl, combine the beans, oil, salt, and pepper. Roughly mash the mixture with the back of a fork.
  2. Place 8 of the bread slices on a work surface. Divide the mashed beans among them. Top with the onion, cucumber, sprouts, and avocado.
  3. Stack the open-faced sandwiches on top of one another, avocado-side up, to make 4 double-decker sandwiches. Top with the remaining 4 slices of bread.
  4. Slice each sandwich in half, if desired, and serve.
Like I said, I bought hummus, but if you want to smash beans, have at it.  I also used a gluten free wrap instead of bread, but again, cleanse.  I didn't use onion because I don't like them raw.

Another variation that was even more delicious, was a little home brew.  I smashed a whole avocado, shaved half a cucumber into it, added salt and pepper, a dash of white pepper for a little kick and probably a teaspoon of dill - I just shook a for a bit until the amount seemed good. Toast gluten free bread, which is as dry as it sounds, spread a small amount of the avocado mixture, just enough to hold down a piece of romaine (I suppose you could use iceberg, butter or any other lettuce), then top with half the avocado mixture - this is enough for two open faced sandwiches and it was super yummy. 

Many thanks to Real Simple again for this concoction.

No comments:

Post a Comment